Travis Blogs and Podcast Updates

  • XMAS Secret Santa - I had a wonderful Christmas and Kwanzaa celebrations this year. My wife and I brought one another wonderful gift and the boys were overjoyed by their g...
    15 years ago

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Meditation Journal 10/20/2008

I decided to do this journal because I wanted to mark my progress and possibly be an inspiration to others. I realized that there are so many people who are skeptical about the need or usefulness of Meditation. This Journal will provide some insight into my growth as a result of my mindfulness and meditation. There are many difficulties that I face, but I believe that my overall quality of life is improving because of meditation. So here is my Journey

The style of meditation that I decided to explore is called the Vipassana Meditation Practice. The Vipassana Practice allows the mediator to go inwardly for complete exploration, understanding and discovery. The Meditation is design to peel away the layers of ignorance, misconceptions, and spiritual poisons. Once the layers are removed the mediator can obtain true self awareness and mindfulness.

So far the experience has been exciting. I have been meditating for almost 6 months off and on, but for about 2 months I am more consistent in my practice.

All and All this is a challenge that is worth the effort. God is allowing so much in my Life.

I am-

  • Blessed with more insight and wisdom.
  • Patient with my children
  • More supportive to my wife
  • More understand and tolerant of others


     

I am

  • accepting myself
  • Examining my arrogance
  • Acknowledging my self-righteousness.


     

Today my morning Meditation was quite challenging. In the book Mindfulness in Plain English, it explains in detail the wildness of the mind, and its inability to calm down. They call it The Monkey Mind Phenomenon. During this time the mind jumps from place to place memory, to bills, to songs, and back. I have to remind myself that this is a part of the process. My mind has never been focused in this manner, so I have to make sure I bring my mind back to my breathing.

The 3 pm practice was short. I was tried to begin my meditation differently. I was not as successful as I thought it would be. I tried to focus on my inhalation and exhalation points without the breath counting. The breath counting helps me to normalize my breath and move to my focus on Inhalations and exhalations. Next session I will not deviate from what is comfortable for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

RMS Content Tags